Zargo File corrupted on save.

Use this forum for general discussion.

Zargo File corrupted on save.

Postby drekka » Fri Mar 07, 2003 4:06 am

Hi all,
This has happened twice now in the last week. I save a project which appears to have saved ok. When I next load the software and the project, it hangs loading the xmi file. looking at the log there is an exception telling me that there is a duplicate key in the file.

The only thing I can do is delete the corrupt file and reinstate the backup, hoping that it's ok.

Does anyone know how to fix the corrupted xmi file ? I've lost almost a whole day of work now and it can be very hard to work out what changes have to remake on the reinstated backup file.

cio
Derek.
Derek Clarkson
drekka

Re: Zargo File corrupted on save.

Postby [gw] Jesco von Voss » Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:44 am

Hi, Derek:

Could you send us one of the corrupt files to info@gentleware.de ? Then we can take a look at the contents, a) see what's causing the problem, b) find a workaround, c) fix the problem, and d) try to fix the project for you. Please also tell us your OS, Poseidon edition+version, and complete JDK version.

Thanks,
JvV

PS: Your link to "Building wooden ships" seems to be broken.
Jesco von Voss
[gw] Jesco von Voss

Postby johnwalker00 » Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:36 pm

Ive had the same problem with corrupted XMI. I spent all day yesterday recreating lost progress.

Its extremely frustrating.

I have begun to distrust the save process. Now I create hourly backups of my work, just to be on the safe side.
John Walker
johnwalker00

Postby drekka » Wed Mar 12, 2003 4:43 am

He he, Yes the wooden ships section is down at the moment as have been re-working the site to make it easier to maintain. Sorry, I'll get it up again as soon as I can. ;-)
Derek Clarkson
drekka

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 17, 2003 10:35 am

Is there a solution or workaround for this problem? I encountered it as well yesterday. How can I "un-corrupt" my .xmi file?

Windows XP
Poseidon 1.6 Community Edition
Sun Java SDK 1.4.1_01

Postby johnwalker00 » Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:38 pm

The kind people at Gentleware told me to send in my .ZARGO file. They are very good to respond to such issues if you post the issue through their bugtracker.

I don't believe there is much pressure to get those things uncorrupted quickly, though. I have been waiting for two weeks to get my .ZARGO back so I could complete the project I was working on.

JBW
John Walker
johnwalker00

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 17, 2003 6:26 pm

Perhaps they can fix the file for me, but I don't want to take the risk of corrupting it again. So I'll stick with ArgoUML until they have some kind of patch. I need only a basic UML modelling tool.

Postby drekka » Tue Mar 18, 2003 12:16 am

Is ArgoUML stable in this respect ?
Derek Clarkson
drekka

Postby Tom Barker » Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:45 am

This has now happened to my project. I am sending my corrupted file to Gentleware to see what they say. I rolled back to two older versions of the same project, from one day and two days previously, and these are now failing to load, when they worked fine before (I check in my work to VSS once a day).

My project is reasonably big (about 80 use cases, 30 classes and 30 seq diagrams) but this doesn't seem related to its size.
Tom Barker
Tom Barker

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:04 pm

I don't know, I have very little expierence with both programs. Time will tell, I only started over in Argo yesterday, so anything can happpen still...

Postby hopperj » Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:08 pm

i moved from argo to poseidon because of corruption and incompatibilities in Argo. a big problem for me is that sequence diagrams are really not usuable in argo either. its a great effort which will eventually be a really useful tool for me, but for now it has enough problems that poseidon is much better at that i bought a SE license.
jim hopper
hopperj

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 25, 2003 8:07 pm

How can you work with that kind of model? I have about 40 UCs no classes but quite a few packages and Poseidon uses up 148 Mb of memory, is really slow and when I want to save the model I get an exception and the file isn't saved and I can't save it ever after. In the meantime the .ZARGO and the backup file are just a few Kb instead of the 200 Kb they should be.

I am evaluating Poseidon on a real project using the CE version on WinXP Home with 512Mb and JDK 1.4.1_02. This happens with 1.6, 1.6.1 doesn't let me save models where I deleted associations between actors and UCs so that's unusable.
If this isn't fixed I'm not really thinking about buying the full product (no CVS support either) and stick with the CE for some basic teaching exercises when mentoring UML students.

Iwan

Postby Guest » Thu May 01, 2003 6:21 am

I have the same problem with my .zargo file. When I try to read the saved file it hangs with the progress dialog box stuck at .xmi I upgraded from 1.6 to 1.6.1 but that did not help. I found a backup (.bak) file which I tried to load but that too hangs at the same place.

Is there any was to turn on logging to see where the problem is occuring ?
Also, is there a way to fix a broken .zargo file ?

Thanks

Postby drekka » Mon May 05, 2003 2:15 am

The problem is caused by the xmi file containing duplicate IDs for some objects. Upgrading your software will not fix this. You have two choices:

1. Try opening the backu files. Usually these are ok, although you will loose the work you did in your last session.

2. Send the file to the guys at Gentleware. They will be able to correct the data within the zmi file and send it back to you.

cio
Derek
Derek Clarkson
drekka

Postby Guest » Wed May 07, 2003 8:40 pm

This bug is magnified by bad exception handling.

When you run Poseidon from a command line, and then open a corrupted file, you can see from the console that a null pointer exception is thrown while reading the bad pgml.

Instead of notifying the user that there was a problem reading the file, the exception is ignored. Bad idea. If the user does not notice that a diagram is missing, he could work for days without realizing he is modifying a corrupted file.

This whole problem is extremely upsetting: I've lost several days.

Next

Return to Poseidon for UML - Older Versions