MacOS X and latest Java update

Use this forum for general discussion, feature requests or to report problems.

MacOS X and latest Java update

Postby [gw] Thorsten Sturm » Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:22 am

Some of you reported problems using Poseidon with the latest Java update available for MacOS X. We confirm that a number of problems exist regarding the user interface using this update and strongly recommend to not install it.

We are currently trying to find ways to move around the problems. In the meantime, there is a work-around available for those of you who already installed the update. Switching to Poseidon's own L&F (Alloy) will prevent you from encountering the problems (they seem to be restricted to the Aqua L&F). If you are successful in starting Poseidon you can open Edit/Settings/Appearance and change the L&F from the combo box. If you are not able to start Poseidon, please open the user config file ($HOME/poseidon2/[CE|SE|PE|Embed]/Poseidon.properties) and manually change the value of "poseidon.init.laf" to "com.incors.plaf.alloy.AlloyLookAndFeel".

After doing so you will have lost the nice Aqua L&F for Poseidon but you can use the program without further problems. We will provide a bugfix release as soon as we have solved the problems.

Thorsten
Thorsten Sturm
[gw] Thorsten Sturm

Re: MacOS X and latest Java update

Postby davef » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:19 pm

Does this fix work for Poseidon 1.6.1?

Also, how do I get a new key for SE 1.6.1. I tried reinstalling Mac OS X to remove the Java update 1. However, now the license server says I do not have a valid key for this machine. And when I try to register it says Registration Failed. The whole registration process is very confusing.
Dave F
davef

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 30, 2003 4:30 pm

The proposed work-around fixes the obvious problems with file dialogs, but the whole application crashes quite often during file access operations like saving project files.

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:20 pm

Well it looks like i can not add classes to a class diagram anymore that were created elsewhere ie imported them and then when i click on them the popup menu does not contain the add operation and drag and drop appears to be non functional as well.

ok it looks like i cant create classes on diagrams either.

i am using the alloy look and feel.

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:16 am

Hello,
I just mailed to gentleware yesterday and this mornig about the same concern: I reinstalled Mac OS X to get rid of the java update, afterwards I had to register poseidon again. My problem in detail: the registration server only answered to my attempts with an error message.

I have got no answer form gentleware by now and feel confused, annoyed and helpless.

Is there anybody else knowing more about a solution?

Postby [gw] Thorsten Sturm » Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:49 am

The next release (to be published some day next week) focusses on bugfixing, stability and performance improvements.

We also reintroduced the possibility to add elements from the navigation into the currently displayed diagram. Although it is not as convenient as using DnD, it will give you a chance to work around the DnD problems.

Thorsten
Thorsten Sturm
[gw] Thorsten Sturm

Postby dilbert » Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:29 am

A first, quick check of Poseidon on Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) showed that - for me, at least - the file dialog issues are gone. I'm going back to Aqua L&F... checking for more issues being resolved.
Sascha Losko
dilbert

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:27 pm

While i am glad to hear that a new release is close, its not really close enough. i have been unable to use my poseidon investment for weeks now when a simple fix to the 2.04 version (adding back in the submenu item to add classes to diagram) could have at least let me keep working.

any chance of a beta release for those of us who are not able to work because of this bug?

jim

Postby sharakan » Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:34 pm

Are you using Poseidon 2.x?

I'm using 2.x CE on OS X 10.3, and since the 10.3 update I haven't been able to launch Poseidon (there's another thread regarding this).
Chris Leon
sharakan

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:48 pm

> Are you using Poseidon 2.x?
>
> I'm using 2.x CE on OS X 10.3, and since the 10.3
> update I haven't been able to launch Poseidon
> (there's another thread regarding this).

I'm using SE 2.x. Without having looked into the other thread you mentioned, I suppose you are referring to the "Hotspot" bug (type java -version) with some failed updates to Panther. I had the same issue at first, but I reinstalled Panther with the option "archive and install" and everything was fine again.

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:15 pm

Actually on www.macintouch.com there is a thread on pather updates that today had a fix for it that didnt require an archive and install. basically you remove existing java framework and do a minimal update install and all is well. it worked for me.

bad news is i still cant add a class ;-(

best jim

Postby sharakan » Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:41 am

I just looked a look at the Macintouch articles about Hotspot, and I don't believe that's what I'm seeing.

From what they say, I should be seeing an error message about Hotspot not being at the correct address. However, I don't see this in either the Poseidon log or the Console. In addition, my update to Panther was successful, from everything I can see.

My log seems to say that there's a straightforward StringIndexOutOfBoundsException being thrown during application startup.
Chris Leon
sharakan

Postby [gw] Thorsten Sturm » Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:04 am

Would you mind sharing the log file with us? Maybe it will give us a hint where the real problem lies.

Thorsten
Thorsten Sturm
[gw] Thorsten Sturm

Postby sharakan » Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:32 pm

I don't have it on the computer I'm on right now.

However, I already posted it to another thread, named Cannot start Poseidon posted by serpentierr. You can look at it there for more information.
Chris Leon
sharakan

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:16 pm

I know the error message doesnt match, but i had exactly your messages etc and i did it now poseidon will startup fine except for drag and drop

jim

Next

Return to Poseidon for UML