Reverse engineering of database model

Use this forum for general discussion, feature requests or to report problems.

Reverse engineering of database model

Postby gaffinet » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:12 pm

Hi

I'm currently using Poseidon professional (6.0.2) and I need to import an existing database schema in order to be able to do the necessaries modification and to generate afterwards the entity and session beans. The code generator already exists and is in use for new created databases but in this case, the goal is to reverse engineer an existing database.

I didn’t have found any possibility to import directly form a database nor from a DDL-schema file. Or I began to generate with hibernate tools the corresponding entity beans with the annotation and want to import the java file in Poseidon.

But when importing the java-files with the annotations I got really a lot of error, and all information about primary key, keys and relation... are lost. When importing the same java files without the annotation I didn’t get the errors, but I also have not the necessaries stereotypes for primary key, relation and so on.

That my problem, now, is there any possibility to import the annotated java file to be able to generate the session beans afterwards, or even better, is it perhaps possible to connect directly to the database to retrieve the necessary information?

Thanks for any help
Have a nice weekend

Yves
gaffinet

Postby [gw] Andrey Dekhtyar » Tue May 26, 2009 12:20 pm

Hi

So far support for reverse engineering of DataBase schema is not included in Poseidon. Also in version 6 as it stands now Poseidon is tuned to import java on the level of java 1.4 features, so now support for annotations, sorry.
We do plan to provide support for java 5 and 6 in next versions.

Kind regards
Andrey Dekhtyar
Gentleware
[gw] Andrey Dekhtyar

Postby Chaibolna » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:38 pm

HI guys

Let's say you have to work with an Oracle database, using a data model that somebody How to you reverse engineer the data model to unearth the table.

Thanks

choisir un matelas - centre de remise en forme
Chaibolna

Re: Reverse engineering of database model

Postby akeiron » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:01 am

gaffinet wrote:Hi

But when importing the java-files with the annotations I got really a lot of error, and all information about primary key, keys and relation... are lost. When importing the same java files without the annotation I didn’t get the errors, but I also have not the necessaries stereotypes for primary key, relation and so on.

Hi, I did a usability survey about several UML editors when I was a the university and I found out Poseidon for UML is a remarkable piece of software. I was evaluating it for work when I found this thread.
I think many of us are using java 6 and annotations, so I believe I should wait for version 8 which is still in beta. But I was wondering about gaffinet problem: couldn't it be feasible to release a version 6.x.x that just ignores annotations without giving out errors? That's all I would need right now so I could apply for a rent subscription...
akeiron

Return to Poseidon for UML