poseidon in linux

Use this forum for general discussion, feature requests or to report problems.

poseidon in linux

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:37 pm

I'm having problems with poseidon. I have reinstalled poseidon, as i have changed the vm to 1.4.2_03, and now the programs starts much much much slowlier than before... i've removed both directories (program files and configuration) from my home, but it's impossible to get it to work in a normal speed. And as i haven't done any big project, i don't know what could be the problem. I'm using and athlon xp 1700+ with 512 Mb ram... can anyone help me?

Thanks a lot

Re: poseidon in linux

Postby [gw] Jan Tietjens » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:54 am

Hi,
could you please post which java vm is faster? What for a linux are you using?
regards,
Jan
Jan Tietjens
[gw] Jan Tietjens

Postby dthein » Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:25 am

I'm seeing the same problem --

Poseidon Community ed 2.2.1,
java version "1.4.2_03"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_03-b02)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2_03-b02, mixed mode)
Mandrake Linux 9.2 (kernel 2.4.22 SMP)
Intel 2.4GHz P4 (with hyperthreading)

It takes _forever_ (a couple minutes) to start up, and also to save (over a minute) a very tiny project (just a single use case diagram).

I do not see this problem on Windows using Sun java 1.4.2_04.

--
Dave
Dave Hein
dthein

Postby [gw] Mark Michaelis » Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:57 am

Currently we are not able to reproduce the problem. So perhaps again some more hints might help:

- How did you install the CE? Zip, Bin or Webstart?
- Is there anything unusual in your Poseidon.log? If unsure, please just attach the log with your next message.
- What way do you start the CE (if not via webstart)? Via poseidon.sh or via the link generated by the installer?

And of course it would help, if others post problems like this, too. E. g. are other editions affected, too?

Best Regards
Mark
Mark Michaelis
[gw] Mark Michaelis

Postby dthein » Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:28 am

- How did you install the CE? Zip, Bin or Webstart?

I downloaded and then executed PoseidonCE_2_2_1_Installer.bin.

- Is there anything unusual in your Poseidon.log? If unsure, please just attach the log with your next message.

Yeah plenty of weirdness. I've attached a log. You can see from the timestamps how long things are taking.

This log contains a start, a project load, a save (after moving a use case symbol to dirty the project file), and an exit.

- What way do you start the CE (if not via webstart)? Via poseidon.sh or via the link generated by the installer?

Via the link generated by the installer, Poseidon_for_UML.

Also, I tried increasing the memory allocation to 400, but it had no effect (at least none that I could tell).

--
Dave
Dave Hein
dthein

Postby [gw] Mark Michaelis » Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:02 pm

The performance is really slow. Messages which take only 1 second (or less!) on my machine take up to 1 minute on your machine.

Sadly, I have no idea, where the cause for this phenomenon is. So we have to continue hunting:

- Are you online? And if not, does the behavior change, when you are online?
- Do you have similar problems with other programs? I heard of a user who had problems like this on Mandrake Linux with StarOffice.
- Do other users with identical or similar configuration have the same problems?

At least I found some descriptions of problems with Mandrake Linux and Performance at Google-News-Search with the keywords "mandrake linux performance java". Perhaps there is a message which fits to your problems.

Best Regards
Mark
Mark Michaelis
[gw] Mark Michaelis

Postby dthein » Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:29 pm

FYI, I'm online all the time (cable modem and NAT router).

I found the cause of the problem. It is one of DNS name resolution. It takes a really really long time to resolve my local computer name to it's IP address. Although I use DHCP to obtain an IP address, I tried putting my machine address in the /etc/hosts file -- now name resolution is immediate and the Poseidon startup and save slowdown goes away.

Poseidon startup must trigger a lot of name resoluion. I didn't notice this problem with OpenOffice (a huge Java app suite) or other java apps. I did't notice the problem with Galeon/Mozilla or other apps.

However, once the IP address was placed in /etc/hosts then all my other apps started up much much faster (almost instantantly) whereas before I was waiting a few seconds (which I thought might have been normal).

I use DHCP with the router. Somehow the router (which holds the DNS server) isn't quickly resolving the local hostname. When I ping an external server, the name resolution is almost instantaneous. When I ping my own machine (using its name, not "localhost") there is a noticable delay of about 2 or 3 seconds.

I'm going to try to figure out whether I can resolve this issue with the router DNS (because the point of DHCP is not having to hard code the IP address in /etc/hosts). The router is a Belkin wireless (b) 4-port router.

--
Dave
Dave Hein
dthein

Postby dthein » Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:27 pm

I never could get my router to accept a hostname during the DHCP negotiations.

What I ended up doing was adding a second entry in /etc/hosts mapping 127.0.0.1 to my hostname. So my /etc/hosts now looks like:

# /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1\t\tlocalhost
127.0.0.1\t\tmybox

where "\t" means "tab", and "mybox" is my hostname.

This works well. Now Poseidon takes only about 10 seconds to load (instead of minutes) and other apps like Galeon and Mozilla take a few tenths of a second (instead of 4 or 5 seconds).

Hope this helps others.

--
Dave Hein
Dave Hein
dthein

Postby beth » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:24 am

Thanks a lot for figuring that out. We will further investigate the problem and try to find a workaround for Poseidon. For the moment being we'll add an entry to our FAQ.
beth
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Fri May 14, 2004 2:52 pm

I have experienced the exact same problem running the binary distribution of Poseidon CE 2.3 under Windows XP.
However, changing Windows\system32\etc\hosts as suggested didn't improve the situation.

I am also using a router with DHCP in a small home network. Switching DHCP off helped, but that isn't a purposeful solution, I guess.

In the end I turned DHCP back on, but overrode it in my Windows Network Settings, i.e. I changed the TCP/IP-Settings from "Receive automatically" to a manual setup. That works fine.

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:30 pm

Using Poseidon For UML CE 3.2 on Win XP with Java 1.5.0_02 it is ridiculously slow ro start up (3-4 minutes). I am using DHCP with my router but my machine name resolves fine (i.e: when I ping it) and adding the name to the Hosts file makes no difference.

I notice that we are a year on from this issue being raised, and apparently no resolution.

:-(

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:40 pm

Well now I disabled my Network Bridge and the problem went away.

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:26 pm

Hi,

okay, it's now 2 years since this was first reported, and guess what I figured out today while having exactly the same problems as described above? - Nothing happend!

When I detach my laptop from the network I experience no problems, but have you tried that in a company with 100.000 employees? I can tell you it is not possible to say I'm not connected!

So what is the current state of investigation?

Here a few details:
- Windows XP service pack 2
- Laptop with 1.8 GHz & 2GB RAM
- Poseidon 3.2.1 Professional Edition
- Time until Poseidon is started (when connected to the network): 3 minutes (average).

Regards,
Jan

Postby [gw] Jan Koehnlein » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:06 am

Hi,

have you tried the following
- use JDK 1.5
- start Poseidon using the batch-file <poseidon-install>/bin/poseidon.bat
- investigate VPN Clients

If the problem persists, please send a support request including your poseidon.log. Are you using a concurrent-license or a standalone licens for Poseidon?

Regards
Jan Köhnlein
Gentleware AG
Jan Koehnlein
[gw] Jan Koehnlein

Windows XP SP2 issue here

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:22 am

Just want to say that we are evaluating Poseidon at the moment with a view to buying it and one of the biggest problems delaying the purchase for a number of employees here is the start time... it's so very, very slow.

Have you any resources looking into this issue, we have it happen on EVERY machine we try it on, on this office network and also on home networks, so it's not a localised issue.

Surely this isn't too hard to track down and fix?

Next

Return to Poseidon for UML