poseidon in linux

Use this forum for general discussion, feature requests or to report problems.

Tuning performance-XP, Poseidon 6.0.2

Postby stephenkca » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:51 pm

It looks like this issue has been around for a long time...

I am running Poseidon Professional Edition 6.0.2 on an XP machine, not too underpowered (P4M 2.2GHz, 1GB RAM), and have been a bit frustrated at the performance. I spent a bit of time testing this afternoon against various JVMs.

The installation was defaulting to running under 1.4.2_04, and took about 70sec to start (according to the log) plus another 25-30sec overhead, using lax.

I installed JREs 1.4.2_15, 1.5.0_13 and 1.6.0_03, tried changing the look and feel to metal and Windows, and tried running unplugged or plugged into the network.

Cutting to the chase, the fastest configuration for starting was to modify poseidon.bat to use 1.6.0_03 and run Poseidon from the batch command, not lax. On my machine, this results in a startup time of 30 seconds (according to the log) plus another 12-13 seconds of overhead, regardless of whether the network is connected.

By comparison, start was 35sec under 1.5.0_13 and 1.4.2_15 without the network connected, and 44sec under 1.5.0_13 with the network connected. This suggests that the network DNS problem mentioned in this dialogue was JVM related, was still really bad in 1.4.2_04, not gone in 1.5.0_13, but has been fixed by 1.6.0_03. (Either that, or something else I fiddled around with fixed the problem. I did try adding an additional entry in hosts for my machine, but Windows networking appears to ignore it and when I ping myself I still get my real IP address when connected to the network, not 127.0.0.1.)

Using 1.6.0_03, lax adds another 4-5sec to the startup time.

Changing the look and feel didn't seem to have a significant effect on performance.

I noticed, and have logged to support, that the default logging level in 6.0.2 seems to be DEBUG, and seems to be unaffected by changing logging.xml. It wouldn't hurt performance to be able to switch logging to ERROR or FATAL.
stephenkca

Re: poseidon in linux

Postby jerryboone » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:37 pm

[quote="dthein"]I never could get my router to accept a hostname during the DHCP negotiations.

What I ended up doing was adding a second entry in /etc/hosts mapping 127.0.0.1 to my hostname. So my /etc/hosts now looks like:

# /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1\t\tlocalhost
127.0.0.1\t\tmybox

where "\t" means "tab", and "mybox" is my hostname.

This works well. Now Poseidon takes only about 10 seconds to load (instead of minutes) and other apps like Galeon and Mozilla take a few tenths of a second (instead of 4 or 5 seconds).

Hope this helps others.

--
Dave Hein[/quote]

thank you for this man!
jerryboone

hi

Postby jerryboone » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:05 am

jerryboone

Postby autismalternative » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:40 am

Nice! What a luck to have found such thread cause I also have the same problem with linux. Though it's somehow frustrating cause I'm planning to shift to windows cause I keep on having a hard time using Linux. Hmmm but this thread did sure give me a benefit of the doubt. Maybe I'll try these tips first before I do anything wreckless. :P Hehe thanks for the info guys! :wink:
autismalternative

Previous

Return to Poseidon for UML