UML 2.0 metamodel and Poseidon 3.1

Discussions about UML in general.

UML 2.0 metamodel and Poseidon 3.1

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:10 pm

Hello,

About the implementation of uml 2.0 metamodel that Poseidon 3.1 uses...
Is this implementation based on MOF or directly on the uml 2.0 metamodel? Is this implementation available in order to be used by others tools?

Something else: has the tool capacity for the development of plugins by the user?

thanks

Re: UML 2.0 metamodel and Poseidon 3.1

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:54 pm

Hi,

Can you answer the question ?

Best Regards,
J?r?me.

Re: UML 2.0 metamodel and Poseidon 3.1

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:57 pm

Hello,

As far as I can see, Poseidon is based on MDR (http://mdr.netbeans.org), which is a Java/JMI based version of the MOF 1.4 metametamodel. In the current release of Poseidon (3.2.x), it implements an UML metamodel which basically conforms to (a large subset of) UML 1.4, but with a few UML 2.0 metamodel elements thrown in, mainly to support the new State and Sequence diagrams. Therefore, in the XMI file you will find a field stating that this metamodel is version '1.4.2'.

As I understand from their roadmap, Poseidon will gradually add more UML 2.0 metamodel elements, until a full implementation of UML 2.0 is achieved. I have no clue when this transition will be accomplished, nor what level of compliance to the UML 2.0 Superstructure standard Poseidon is aiming for ;-)

Another recent message in this forum by Stefan Mueller also suggests that, due to performance reasons, Poseidon may change from an MDR/MOF 1.x based repository to something else (Ecore 2.0 ?? I'm just guessing, but there does not seem to be another viable candidate out there at the moment...). No further details were given, nor how this would fit in their transition strategy to UML 2.0.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

MickB

Return to UML