Interchange between OSS CASE tools

Discussions about UML in general.

Interchange between OSS CASE tools

Postby codice » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:49 pm

I want to be able to interchange my diagrams (more precisely my XMI files) between Poseidon for UML and other open source CASE-tools, does anyone know any such open source CASE-tools that can handle import/export of XMI files (except from ArgoUML)?
codice
codice

Re: Interchange between OSS CASE tools

Postby [gw] Thorsten Sturm » Tue May 18, 2004 1:12 pm

Most UML modeling tools are able to import/export xmi. The quality of the resulting xmi files varies and it is not guaranteed that exchanging with other tools works.

Poseidon is currently using a combined xmi file format that holds the model and the diagram information. Both parts follow the according standards with the one for diagram interchange originally being part of the UML 2 standard. So, most other tools will currently not understand how to import the diagram part. However, you can also choose to export the model information only.

We assume that things will get better with UML 2. The standard is more precise according to the xmi format and will therefore leave less room for interpretation. Exchanging information between tools should become easier that way.

Thorsten
Thorsten Sturm
[gw] Thorsten Sturm

Return to UML