Problems with compiling and installing the Poseidon example

Problems with compiling and installing the Poseidon example

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:34 am

Hello all,

I installed Poseidon Professional Edition 3.1 standalone version, and also installed Poseidon plugin in Eclipse on Windows XP. Both worked fine except for the known bug with launching UML perspective in Eclipse.

Because I am interested in extending the Poseidon plugin, I also downloaded the ApiDemo source code (apiDemo-1.0-src.zip) from http://www.gentleware.com/index.php?id=85. According to the instructions, I modified (poseidon.lib.dir) and (other .lib.dir) properties to point to my own Poseidon installation.

Then, I attempted to run ant to compile the ApiDemo source code. It didn't work. So, I debugged the build.xml file and found 1) some JAR files imported by the source code seemed to have been restructured so that some import statements in the code were reported error, and 2) some JAR files that were not included in my Poseidon lib/ directory. I modified the import statements to match the new structure of the JAR files and downloaded some missing JAR files from the web. Finally, luckily I successfully compiled and built the (apiDemo.jar).

After that, I tried to install this plugin (apiDemo.jar) by following Poseidon PE 3.1 => Plug-Ins menu => Plug-Ins Panel menu item. I selected the new plugin and clicked the "install" button. An error message dialog appeared, saying
"Missing plugins: The API-Demo plugin cannot be installed because it depends on these other modules that are not currently installed: com.gentleware.poseidon.uml14."
Then, I searched online and found a umlplugin.jar. This JAR file turned to be what was missing (that is, com.gentleware.poseidon.uml14). I could install apiDemo.jar.

Unfortunately, with these two newly installed plugins (umlplugin.jar and apiDemo.jar), Poseidon could NOT start anymore. I removed both of them, and it could start again. So, I think the problem exists in the new plugins.

Following the above description, my questions are:
1) which Poseidon edition and version is the ApiDemo source code targeted? It seems to me that it is not written/updated for Poseidon PE 3.1, because some necessary libraries were missing, such as umlplugin.jar, poseidonCore.jar, services.jar, etc. The process of looking for these libraries were random. I had to go to ftp address to find these jar from other installation packages.

2) What may be the cause of the above problems? I searched the Poseidon forum and didn't find a lot of problems with compiling and installing the apiDemo.jar. So, it seems the problems are specific to my installation, eg, PE 3.1.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on these problems. Also I'd provide poseidon.log and/or other files if necessary.

Best Regards,
Min

Re: Problems with compiling and installing the Poseidon exam

Postby J Simmonds » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:08 am

I'm also having the same type of problems.... versions 3.x of Poseidon don't have the jars needed for plugin development.
jsimmond
J Simmonds

Postby J Simmonds » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:26 am

mmm there has been some package renaming...

was
import com.gentleware.services.swingx.XTab;
now is
import com.gentleware.openapi.swingx.XTab;

was
import com.gentleware.jboogie.openapi.*;
is
import com.gentleware.openapi.jboogie.*;
jsimmond
J Simmonds

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:12 am

1. use eclipse to refactor all the package paths in the ApiDemo
2. edit the manifest file.
3. import the lisence

the follwoing is the manifest file for me that works.

Manifest-Version: 1.0
Class-Path: poseidonCore.jar services.jar
OpenIDE-Module: com.gentleware.apidemo
OpenIDE-Module-Name: @apidemo.fullname@
OpenIDE-Module-Display-Category: Poseidon
Poseidon-Module-Install: com/gentleware/apidemo/modules/ApiDemoPlugin.class
OpenIDE-Module-Specification-Version: @apidemo.version@
OpenIDE-Module-Implementation-Version: @apidemo.version@
OpenIDE-Module-Module-Dependencies: uml14
Poseidon-Module-Module-Dependencies: uml14
OpenIDE-Module-Short-Description: Demo plugin that shows how to use Poseidon's plugin API.
OpenIDE-Module-Long-Description: Provides a frame for implementing custom plugins. The files in the modules package are the install handlers, the remainder can be custom code.

Return to Plug-Ins